School Sport Funding
At Garden City Academy we ensure first rate provision in Physical Education and value the contribution sport can make towards physical well-being and a healthy lifestyle for all our children. We offer a wide range of sporting opportunities, from a range of extra-curricular clubs, to participation in a comprehensive Inter School sporting competitions. We strongly believe in building on the legacy of the London 2012 Olympics and ‘Staying Inspired!
The government is providing additional funding for the academic years 2013 to 2014 and 2014 to 2015 to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding is provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport and is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
At Garden City Academy, our priority is to provide high quality and exciting sporting opportunities for our children. We aim to improve the quality of our PE provision and increase the participation rates of our children through:
- Engaging with PE specialist teachers within the local Sports Partnership to develop CPD opportunities for school staff in order to improve the quality of PE provision
- Providing a wide range of extra-curricular sporting clubs and activities
- Supporting and engaging the least active children
- Celebrating the success of school sport teams and individual high level performances
- Fostering strong links with local sports clubs
- Providing high quality and wide ranging resources
- Ensuring PE lessons and school sport is supported through the employment of our PE Sports Apprentice
- Providing swimming and top up swimming for KS2 children
Swimming results for year 6 children have improved year on year at GCA with 62% achieving 25m 2016/17 and 67% in 2017/18, the majority of children have never had lessons prior to the school taking them so this is a fantastic achievement for those children. Swimming is a life skill that we encourage all our children to embrace with the support of parents we can ensure even more children leave our school acheiving the 25m certificate and more.